Saturday, September 21, 2013

I'll Give You Something to Blog About!

Shalom and Good Afternoon

It's a rainy Saturday here in the western North Carolina mountains, the first day it's really felt like fall.  I'm actually wearing jeans today.  I've just finished giving myself a pedicure and decided that it's a wonderful time to put some words down.  Words are pretty amazing little things, they have so much power and majesty.  I made the decision many years ago that I wanted to work with words, form a close and intimate relationship with them.  They help me create new worlds and they help me convey emotion and experience and laughter and tears.  It is so much easier to express one's true emotion though pen and paper or keyboard and computer.  Arguments and highly emotional confrontations cause the brain to seize up, the words to not come.  How many times after a conversation do we think, "If only I'd said THIS, then that'd show them!"  Or something along those lines. 

I've noticed too that people feel more comfortable behind a computer screen.  My experiences in online dating have convinced me of that.  You have time to formulate responses.  It doesn't matter what you look like or what you're wearing, you could be naked and picking your nose.  The other person only perceives what you want them to.  You are, in fact, creating a persona as you type.  Say what you think they want to hear.  Ask probing, meaningful questions that you had some time to come up with.  Be funny, be intriguing, be what you've perhaps never been in real life; real conversation, real eye contact/facial expression land.

I fear we are losing these key communication skills.  It scares me.  How can one pick up on non-verbal cues if one is not exposed to them?  How will this guy know if I'm upset if he's never seen it?  How will that guy know that I'm smiling at his witticisms?  It's a quandary, no doubt about it.  And I want to be known, just like everyone else.  I want people to know the real me, and to appreciate the person that I've forged over my 34 years. 

It does happen, though, that sometimes the stars align, there's a harvest moon, or whatever fateful circumstances fall into place for meeting a truly neat person.  I've met many very cool people here, and this week I met another.  He's very nice and I'm excited to have a new friend.  He's a musician and he's funny and he's straightforward and honest.  He's a man, and I appreciate the heck out of that! 

I also need to decide what I'm going to be for Halloween.  Any suggestions?  Also, totally stoked that my Little Dr. Smell (aka my sister Lindsay) is coming to visit next weekend.  We are heading down to Savannah for a night on a mini road trip that should be very fun.  And the following week I start on the editing process of Saving Haven.  Plus I started a 40 day Pilates challenge that I'm three days into.  Abs of steel coming up baby!

This was a bit of a ramble, but I did say I'd blog twice a week so this is what happened.  I hope all are well, I miss so many of you, and I want to throw it out there, albeit a little early, that I am planning on having a Fancy Dress White Elephant party when I come home in December.  You've all been warned!

Shanti Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment