Saturday, June 8, 2013

Baby Bears, Daniel Boone, and Bars

It's been an interesting week here in Candler/Asheville NC. 

I went on a date last Friday the 31st and I thought it went well.  However, the next day the guy disappeared, and ended up blocking me and Molly on facebook as well.  I'm not sure what happened, as he seemed really into me and excited.  Many theories are floating around, from over-controlling parents to a pissed-off wife to abduction by aliens.  I think it was the last. :)  It's ok though, he would have probably just been a friend anyway. 

I've decided not to get too invested in the online dating yet, it's a lot of work and I'm a social person.  I would rather meet someone in person than have no idea if they're lying to me online or not.  We'll just have to see what happens.

In other news, I went back to the botanical gardens with Molly, Kate and David and we had a very nice time.  I took a couple more pics:

 Cool water sculpture

Fleurs
 
 
I also ended up locking my keys in the trunk so we got to hang out even longer than expected, but I think everyone forgave me for that.  We did spend a good amount of time kicking my trunk to see if it would magically pop open.  Apparently it only does this when you DON'T want it to happen, like while driving on the freeway.
 
I've been sorta chatting with this fellow on the okcupid site, and I asked him what a good daytrip no farther than two hours out would be.  He mentioned Boone, NC which is a stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The town is named after Daniel Boone, and I decided to make the trip and check out the Daniel Boone Nature Park.  So I hopped in the car Thursday around noon, stopped to get a bite to eat and some coffee, and headed onto the Parkway.
 
This is a twisty scenic road that winds through the mountains, and it's absolutely gorgeous.  Even though it was a cloudy, misty day it was magnificent.  Here, I'll show you!
 
 
 
I stopped off to use the restroom at a visitor's center, and found this trail.
 
 
 
It was short, so I decided to check it out.  I'm so glad I did!
 
Loved this pathway!  The trees are awesome.
 
The whole top was covered in rhododendrons, but they hadn't yet bloomed.  I'm sure it's just lovely when they do.
 
The view from above
 
Me and a tree
 
 
This is my "isn't this spooky" face
 
I continued on the windy road, and around a corner encountered a wee baby bear crossing the road.  He was as surprised as I was.  I slammed on the brakes, he did a funny sideways bear dance/hop and ran the rest of the way across the road.  I said, "where is your mama, baby bear?"  And then I thought, I don't really want to encounter his mama.  So I drove off without waiting for her.  About thirty seconds later I passed an overlook.  It's name was Bear Den.  Ironic, no?
 
I drove and drove, up, down, up again.  Passed greenery and overlooks and smelled fresh mountain air.  Finally I arrived at Boone, and with great relief found the Daniel Boone Nature Gardens easily.  I took a nice tour of them.
 
Entrance to gardens
 
Isn't this nice?  Only requires lemonade, preferably Lynchburg :)
 
Well
 
Creepy inside of well
 
 
This is Daniel Boone's father, Squire Boone's, cabin.  It was moved to this location in 1960 by two hired boys who "pulled it through snake-riddled woods."  So says the plaque.  Downside is, the door was locked and the windows were barred. 
 
Curlicue path to Monk
 
We are friends
 
Me and a tree, part two
 
Flame Azaleas
 
 
The drive back was a bit more of an adventure.  I encountered extreme fog and deluge rain.  It's very bizarre being in a cloud and getting dumped on at the same time.  I had to take it very slow, and so my six hour trip became eight.  But I finally made it home safe and sound and exhausted but happy.  I needed this.
 
Speaking of needing things, Molly and I went out last night on the town in West Asheville.  We had a lovely dinner at Martha Stuart's favorite restaurant in Asheville, a homecooking place that served only fresh, organic, local food.  (The norm here)  We decided after dinner to head to the Double Crown, a cute little bar with cozy booths and good drinks.  We met three people there.  The first encounter was Luke, who is totally adorable.  This is Molly and him dancing.
 

 
I was approached outside by a lady named Chazzy, who questioned me extensively about my ankh tattoo.  She was a fascinating person and we exchanged phone numbers.  Then we met Erik, who is a cool kid.  We ended up going to The Admiral to dance with Luke and Erik, and spent a couple hours shaking our tushies.  Then we went to Erik's and hung out on his front porch couch for a while.  We finally got home at almost four, and shed our soaking wet clothes.  Did I forget to mention that it was pouring so hard that we were soaked almost all night?  Interesting stuff, damp clothes.  I think my sandals might still be wet.
 
All in all, it's been a very nice exciting week.  I went on my first solo day trip, I met three very cool people and I got to dance. 
 
 
Hope all is well for all of you, and expect to hear from me soon.
 
 
Shanti
 
 

 

 
 




2 comments:

  1. I really love these posts..They make me smile. Take good care of yourself.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely interesting blog with awesome photos, so much to see there! Enjoying every adventure!

    ReplyDelete