Monday, November 18, 2013

Mama Was Here!

 
It's the middle of November and the weather has been changing drastically.  Today was an exception, being mid-sixties and sunny so that I was able to get a start on the enormous leaf population.  Yesterday it rained and I did nothing but watch Arrested Development all day.  That is why today must be more productive, and this writing is a product that I do not do enough of!  The trees are bare, the temps are dropping to freezing at night, and it actually snowed one afternoon while my mother and I were wandering the downtown of Asheville.
 
Did I mention that my mother came to visit?  It was so wonderful!  She came in on a Saturday and left the following Wednesday.  The first day we hung out at home, then went to our favorite Mexican place with Molly.  The next day dawned sunny and beautiful and Mom and I struck out for the Parkway.  I got some lovely pictures, though I think she has a few more. 
 
The last time I'd been to the Parkway it was overcast and you couldn't see this amazing view!


The problem with visiting the Parkway right before it closes for the winter is that Little Switzerland is closed down.  This had been the plan for lunch, but it was like a ghost town.  After driving around for a bit and asking some locals, we ended up at a place called The Sheperd's Table.  It was full of church crowd folks and had scripture on the walls, and who knew that Jesus liked his food so deep-fried?  These are fried green tomatoes.
 
 
We went on a hike to a falls, and it was pretty steep but I accomplished it with as little muttering as I could.  Then we sped to the second hike that I wanted Mom to see, because the sun was setting quickly.  But the views from the top were amazing.  Check it!

 


 
 
The next day we went on a hike with Molly and ended up getting lost for a bit.  But we did see an owl in a tree!  

He was far away, but if you look carefully you can see him!


Awww!
 

Tuesday is the day it snowed on us downtown, and we also got some Christmas presents for people.  Then Kate got home from her trip to the river and we all went out for German food.  It was delicious!
 
 
It was so lovely catching up with my mama and laughing with her and showing her my environs.  We had such a nice time and she's talking about coming back in the spring when the rhododendrons are in bloom. 
 
Since then I've been pretty unproductive, although I did do a photo shoot this last weekend with my lovely friend Sarajane and I'm keeping the Spin classes going.  I need to work a schedule out for my editing, as I'm on my own at this point.  Self motivation GO!
 
I'll be home the 17th of December through the 2nd of January, and I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone I miss so dearly!  We also have plans next week for a big "Orphan" Thanksgiving, all of us not going home for the holiday.  Tasty goodness!  I'm also very excited for a big show this coming Sunday that a bunch of my musician friends are putting on.  Yay for going out and hearing awesomely talented people!
 
I hope that all are having a lovely lovely autumn, and send motivation my way please!
 
XOXO
 
Shanti
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment