Sunday, November 3, 2013

Spooky Samhain

It's time for a blog, people!  Egad it's been a while, and I have nothing to excuse myself with but lack of initiative.  To combat that, I am now sitting myself down to do what I'm supposed to do, what I actually love to do but what I procrastinate doing so very often.  Phew! 

So.  My last installment was a rant on men, and I'm glad I put that out there.  Helps with the frustration building that dating can inspire.  The last couple of weeks have been taken up with planning for our Halloween party, and as many of you know I never do parties half assed.  It's all out for me.  Perhaps I should be a party planner...but I digress.  Here is a picture timeline:
 

Rufus discovered the Dachshund bed, and has since claimed it as his own.  He doesn't quite fit, but he doesn't quite care either.

 

We have gotten a delivery of wood from a very attractive man named Zack, and we now have an indoor fireplace as well as out, with plenty of fuel for both.  So cozy! 

 

On the Friday before Halloween, we attended a party at our wonderful friend Owen's house and I threw together an improvised vamp costume.  It was 29 degrees that night, and to help with that I drank wine punch, because that's how vampires roll apparently.  I did not, however, sparkle.  Because that's only for pansy vampires.

The Dachshund and the kitties are slowly becoming closer, though Hades and Dali still aren't too sure of the relationship.  This was a rare shot of them sharing the bed, albeit uncomfortably.  Funny side note:  I put Turkish, my white kitty, in her witch costume one day and hollered at Kate to come see.  Dali followed her in, Turkish jumped off the bed in her costume, Dali got excited and cornered her, and Turkish straight turned into a real witch cat and got up on her hind legs and attacked.  I will forever regret that we weren't quick enough to take a photo of this happening, but since then Turkish's fear around the dachshund has disappeared.

 

This is our witch circle I created in the front yard, the heads of which light up.  Spooky!  We've decided to keep it up and decorate them for Christmas. 

 

Bodies that are stuffed with the numerous plastic bags we've been hoarding.  The one on the right was hung in the basement haunted house.  The one on the left is taped with Justin Bieber duct tape, because that is really a thing that they sell.  You know you've made it when they have your picture on duct tape.

 

David demolished our tree fort, and he and I put together this lovely fire pit for the front yard.  I have since been burning leaves in it and that's been very fun and satisfying.  Fire is our friend!

 

Not a great picture day for me or the darling Dali, but her face is priceless!

Smoky Hipler and Marty McFly (David and Kate)

Not so smoky

The hanging corporate man in the blacklight
 


The hanging corporate man with Puss in Boots between his legs

One of our lovely children guests, who was instrumental in scaring the crap out of newcomers to the party

The center of the garage maze, where we set up a séance circle

This spider greeted guests by falling into their faces.  Best $2 Fifty I ever spent!

 

The Trifecta:  Kate as Marty McFly, Molly as Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord, and Shanti as Puss in Boots

 

And finally, the ghosts I spent so much time on.  They turned out lovely!

Spooky!!
 
 
All my hard work paid off, and we had so much fun!  We even took a few tours into the haunted red house next door.  And get this:  The first two times I ventured into it (during the day), I had to get in through a crack in the far outer wall of the place.  Halloween night, however, both the front and back doors were open.  On top of that, we found a bat in the basement.  And a dude fell partway through the floor.  And at night, it's just darn spooky as hell.
 
Now that the party is over, it's time to focus on my writing.  I have a book to edit, and there's no time for dilly dallying!  Also, my darling Molly is leaving us in a month and a half, so I also want to spend some quality time with her.  We're planning on having a nice Thanksgiving, and then I come home for two weeks over Christmas.  Life is still good, Fall here is lovely but cold, and I'm excited to see what adventures await me in the upcoming months. 
 
I hope all are doing well and that you had spooktacular Halloweens.  Much love and kisses,
 
Shanti Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment