Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chapter One Continued

As promised, here is a continuation of the short story.

Chapter One, Continued

The moonlight played tricks on the eyes as shifting shadows jumped from the corners of my vision.  I'd shrugged out of the leather and donned my off-duty clothes.  My ancient jeans fit me like a second skin and my white t-shirt stretched across my chest.  It had fit better six years before, but I'd put on a few pounds of muscle since then.  I kept only the revolver, tucked in the back of my jeans.  I'd been walking for two hours, and knew by the smell of woodsmoke that I was close.  I broke through the shrubs and paused, hands in the air.  Before me a stream-fed lagoon glistened in the moonlight and Frank stood as if waiting for me.  Who was I kidding?  He'd heard me miles ago.

"Welcome Graham Tanner," he said softly in his accented English.

"Frank."  I walked slowly toward him, gauging his mood.  He seemed resigned tonight.  "How are things?"

He turned and walked toward the cave.  I followed him, knowing the small talk was done.  A large dog greeted me at the mouth of the cave, its tail thumping.  I scratched its ears as I passed.  The cave was lit by firelight and candlelight, and a more comfortable cave I'd yet to see.  Faded tapestries lined the walls, ancient rugs the floor.  In the rear a four-poster bed with all the trimmings beckoned invitingly.  There were shelves lined with books, cabinets full of treasures, and two chairs you could sink into around the fire.  Frank's home was the most sophisticated this side of the island.  He'd told me the other side liked their comforts as well.

The man sat in his favorite chair and I sat across from him.  I resisted the temptation to lean back.  I was exhausted but couldn't afford to sleep.

"You've lost something."

I took a deep breath.  "How can you tell?"

His leathery face creased in what I'd come to realize was a smile.  "I would tell you that I am clairvoyant, but you would not believe me.  Instead I will tell you this.  Every two minutes you usually touch your left pocket like a talisman.  You have been with me for six minutes now and I have not witnessed this.  Either you have learned to restrain yourself since I have last seen you or..."

I let the observation hang for a moment.  Then I closed my eyes.

"I think it's on the other side of the island."  I heard the scrape of a match and opened my eyes to see him lighting a pipe.  "I need to get it back."

"Do you?"

"Yes.  You know I do."

"No."  He puffed a few times.  "I know nothing of the sort.  Neither do you.  It has been six years Graham Tanner.  Do not you think it would have happened by now if it was to happen at all?"

I leaned forward.  "It brought me here, Frank.  It can take me back home."

"That is your belief."

"Frank, coming to this place in this time was pretty fuckin' hard to believe.  Encountering the inhabitants of the island was hard to believe.  Getting home, when compared to that, should be a cakewalk."

"Hmm.  How long did you hang for this day?"

"Four hours before I dropped my-"

"You lost it while meditating?"  His voice was sharper than it had been. 

"Yeah."

"Well.  That is most interesting.  And it fell to the other side."

"Yes."

He stood abruptly and so quickly I blinked.  I kept forgetting that this old man wasn't what old men should be.  In a moment's time he'd gone to a desk and returned with a folded paper.  He handed it to me.

I raised my eyebrows and carefully unfolded the brittle paper.  There was only one sentence written in faded ink.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  I refolded the paper and handed it back to him.

"Y'know Frank, I went to Sunday school for years.  This isn't new to me."

He sat back down.  "I too went to Sunday school Graham Tanner.  This statement is not to do with your god."

"Oh yeah?  Explain that to me, Frank.  Because 'Lord' means God here."

"Every religion, every faith has this same statement.  The fact that you lost your phone while meditating proves this.  It is a catalyst.  Change is coming."

"Fate.  More fate talk.  Frank-"

"You were brought here for a reason Graham Tanner.  You found me for a reason."

"Sure.  I saved those poor bastards down there."

He shook his head.  "More.  For those few lives you would not be here.  My people fear you.  Do you know why?"

"I know how to kill them."

"No.  You cannot be killed."

His statement, so calm and sure, froze me to my marrow.  "Everyone can be killed.  I bleed just like the next guy."

"Yet you heal faster than any human I've seen.  Your arm was broken three years ago, yes?  How long did it take to heal?"

I stared at him.  I didn't answer.

"You were shot in the thigh by a misfired gun.  You were walking hours later with no pain."

"Frank, I know that the journey here changed me.  I'm stronger, faster, I can take more damage.  I'm-"

"Like us."

"No.  I'm human."

"As I was human.  Once."

I stood and paced to the wall.  "Is this why you chose to train me, Frank?  Why you helped me save those people?"

"I chose to aid you because I've become disgusted with my own kind.  But yes, training you I would not have done had I not seen the otherness within you."  He smoothed his wool jacket sleeves.  Wool in this heat. 

I shook my head.  "I can't handle this right now."  I went to stand before him.  I folded my arms over my abdomen and bowed low.  "Master, will you please help me retrieve what is lost?"

He stared at my bowed head.  "You wish me to retrieve it for you."

"Yes."

"That I will not do.  You must retrieve it yourself."

"I'll die."

"If that is your wish, of course."

"Damnit Frank, I can't do this alone!"

"I am afraid, Graham Tanner, that you are more alone than you know.  Now kneel and recite."


It was seven in the morning by the time I fell into my grass-filled bed.  Even the noise of the village coming to life couldn't have kept me awake.  I tumbled down into dreams that I'd hoped my exhaustion would keep at bay.

There was fire.  There was always fire.  It licked the walls, the floor.  I blinked my eyes and through the haze of smoke I saw her sitting in her favorite chair.  She stared into the mirror of her vanity set and seemed completely oblivious to the fact the house was burning down around her.

"I have to go, Graham," she told me in her lovely voice.  Her long black hair was up in a knot at the nape of her neck and she wore an elegant red gown.  Her deep brown eyes, slanted at the corners, met mine in the mirror.

"I know you do, honey.  But the boys-"

"Why can't you pick them up again?"  She affixed diamonds in her ears.

"I've got a job tonight."

She turned her head left and right, checking the dangle of the earrings.  I strode forward and placed my hands-black from the soot- on her thin shoulders.

"You look so beautiful," I said warmly. 

She smiled.  "And you look like you need to sleep.  Tell you what.  I'll have Mama pick them up."  She turned and raised her face to me.  I kissed her gently.  "Take a night off, Graham.  Come with me."

"You know I can't.  Next week I'll request a vacation.  We'll go somewhere fantastic."

"Next week is the launch," she said with a frown.

"The following week then."

Her eyes reflected the fire all around us.  I couldn't read them.  I dimly heard a crash behind me as part of the wall collapsed.

"I'm going to be late," she said as she stood.  I followed her to the bedroom doorway.  I heard the creak of the floorboards beneath us. 

"I love you," I told her as fire began to lick at the hem of her gown.

"You too, baby," she said before going up in flames.


Love to leave it on a cliffhanger!  Hope you're all still enjoying this.  Chapter Two starts soon!

Shanti







No comments:

Post a Comment